October generally marks the beginning of “cold & flu” season; but there are plenty of natural ways you can stay healthy and treat illness when it does arise. Here’s to a great Autumn season!
1. Wash your hands, often and well with soap and warm water: seems like a no-brainer but this is the most
effective way to prevent transmission of disease
2. Get out in the sun every day for a little while, or take a vitamin D3 supplement to boost immunity (Vitamin C, or lots of organic fruits and veggies; as well as a probiotic are also great for strengthening the system)
3. Yoga poses like inversions (legs up the wall, hand stand, shoulder stand, etc) and twists flush out the body, and incorporating regular massage, acupuncture or chiropractic can also be useful for detoxification.
4. Herbal teas & tonics! There are many teas and tonics (check out Traditional Medicinals) to balance the systems in health and sickness. Also, try a daily infusion of 1 cup warm water with 1-2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar, raw local honey to taste, half an organic lemon and a pinch of turmeric, cayenne and ginger to cleanse and clear.
5. If you find yourself under the weather, sunshine, fluids, warm Epson salt baths, neti pot and steam treatment with eucalyptus oil are all organic, supportive ways to heal. Remember to stay home, rest and honor your body’s process.